The long-awaited rules on data access have been published this morning from two key parts of the US Department of Health & Human Services. I’ll expand this post with more links as we digest what’s been offered and will unfold in the coming week.
The ONC rule
- Gateway page with summary and links
- Full text of the ONC 21st Century Cures Act final rule
The CMS rule
- Summary: Interoperability and Patient Access Fact Sheet
- Full text (with many links) of the CMS Interoperability and Patient Access final rule
- A point vital to SPM’s pursuit of patient data access: APIs – “requires CMS-regulated payers … to implement and maintain a secure, standards-based Patient Access API (using FHIR 4.0.1 that allows patients to easily access their claims and encounter information, including cost, as well as a defined sub-set of their clinical information through third-party applications of their choice.”